Friday, October 15, 2010

PE3_Part 3 of Google Docs

For my practical experience part 3 I decided to stick with Google docs and look into Google presentations. Prior to attending Full Sail I had little experience collaborationg on the internet aside from social network sites and through email. I have been pleasantly surprised and amazed by all that is available for collaboration in the classroom among students. I have used Google docs throughout my group projects at Full Sail University to collaborate on documents, but had never spent much time in Google presentations since I use Keynote and Powerpoint. I was impressed, however with the ease of use of Google presentations. I found through a blog site that LeVonda Vickery, one of my critical friends at Full Sail University, had used Google presentations to create a photo scrapbook and talked about using Google presentations for a beginning of the year activity in the classroom where students could add information to the presentation. I had looked into Google presentation prior to reading her blog, and liked the fact that students could collaborate on one slideshow and have access to the presentation from home and school as well. The main obstacle I would see in trying to implement this in my own classroom however, is the fact that students at my school do not have email addresses, and therefore I could not share the document with them. I tried to research the site to see if there was any other way to create a group and share documents through one teacher account, but was unsuccessful in finding it. I did find some other useful information, however. Up to 10 students could work on a collaborative presentation at the same time from home with access to parent email addresses, which could come in handy as a teacher. Up to 200 students could potentially view a presentation at one time, as well. If there is a way to create a group to share with other than through personal emails and you are aware of that, please let me know. Otherwise, I would love to see Google make this possible for teachers! 

Google presentations can be made easily, and I loved the blackboard background for the classroom. We are reviewing fact and opinion so I created a few slides to use with the students as review. I also like to use the backgrounds in class to type information on as we discuss topics like fact and opinion. 

Here is an interesting link for ways teachers can use Google docs presentations in the classroom to engage students during a presentation and more useful ways to use google presentations. Click here to visit the link.

No comments:

Post a Comment