Saturday, October 2, 2010

BP4_Storyjumper

This week I looked into an amazing writing site called Storyjumper at http://www.storyjumper.com. It is a web 2.0 website where teachers can create a free account and have access to amazing, user-friendly tools for writing stories. I set up a site for my students where I can see all of their writing, and student accounts are created under the teacher name. I am planning to use this site to have the students create cause and effect relationships with scenery and props accompanied by text they can create using the many tools available to them at this site. I created an example page with cause and effect statements. Here is what the sample page I created looked like.

Created by Kristi Swartz at Storyjumper.com

The students and I will review cause and effect with this visual. Students will create cause/effect relationships with a partner using the site, and we will then share them in class using our LCD screen allowing each pair of students will explain their cause/effect relationships with the class and how it relates to their particular scene and props they added to the page. There is a large library of scenes and props for students to use on projects, as well as the ability of students to write entire stories and pay for a published version, as well.  The site is user friendly, and I am sure the 5th grade students will thoroughly enjoy the visuals available on this site.  We are beginning personal narratives later this week, and I am thinking of letting the students create their final narratives on Storyjumper. I would highly recommend this site to any elementary classroom teacher as well as middle school students. Older students may find the site interesting, but the pages do not allow large amounts of text. Enjoy Storyjumper!

No comments:

Post a Comment