Sunday, October 10, 2010

BP9_Toondoo.com


Toondoo creation of words: accurate, approximate, and course
I found an interesting web 2.0 tool that can easily be implemented into any curriculum. It is called toondoo.com and it is an easy to use cartoon building site. Students, or teachers can create 1, 2, or 3 frame cartoons in a matter of minutes. The tool contains characters, scenery, props, text boxes, and more! This tool can be used in a language arts class in numerous ways. I plan to use it to have students illustate definitions of words in context, as well as use the comics to practice spelling words. I presently have the students create comics on paper for spelling words, and the technology aspect will motivate students in a new way, and get them excited about creating comics in a new way. I also plan to use the tool toondoo to have students summarize what they are reading in a small number of words using the 3 frame comics. I will implement toondoo as a tool where students create comics about characters feelings, story settings, events that occur within a specific chapter of a book we are reading, or to reflect on readings. This can be a powerful tool for students to use to demonstate text connections, as well. Students create comics to show connections relating the text to their own lives, or to the world. Similar tools are makebeliefscomix.com and wittycomics.com. I prefer toondoo as it seems easier to navigate, and the graphics are visually interesting.

There is a way teachers can pay to create a toondoo space to house all toondoos created, as well. This allows students and teachers to see comics in a private environment. It costs approximately $50-60 per 9 month subscription for 30 students or $100 per 9 month subscription for 60 students. This paid feature allows teachers to track students and their creations. Conversely, the free membership allows students to use one email address to get online and create comics saved to one account. Students can print comics and share the paper copies with the free service, as well. The possibilities for classroom use of toondoo seem endless! Check out toondoo.com today! You won’t be disappointed.
Sample of characters in toondoo.com
 

4 comments:

  1. Kristi,

    I love it! Great information on this web 2.0 tool. After reading about it on your blog I went straight to the site to try it out. I can see a lot of different uses for this product in school. One in particular that struck me was teaching story sequences. What better way and how much fun would that be to read a story and then have the students put the story in the correct order than using a tool like this. Thanks for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Kristi,

    I enjoyed researching this web 2.0 resource. I think the use of creating cartoons is becoming more and more relevant to our students as Scholastic books and other young adult literature is incorporating novel style comic books for students to learn and comprehend visual concepts simultaneously.

    The educational opportunities for purchasing space and creating private forums for students to safely share their cartoons with others is very appropriate to the academic environment.

    Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed your review on this Wed 2.0 tool. I have done a bit of research with other tools along the lines of animation and find this tool to be one of the best!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like this Web 2.0 tool. It's amazing! I start by register on the www.toondoo.com and start creating my cartoon character. I love it. This is a great toll that I can use personally and in the classroom.

    ReplyDelete